Ben Thanh Market is probably the most popular and symbolic market of all of Vietnam, but there are others that travelers are mostly unaware of and may miss if they don’t have local knowledge. If you want to have an authentic local experience, Ho Thi Ky Flower Market in Saigon (Ho Chi Minh City) is one of those markets that you should not miss. Located in District 10, there are many things apart from flowers to discover inside. Here’s an all-you-need-to-know guide about Ho Thi Ky.
- A First Look at Ho Thi Ky Flower Market in Saigon
- How Can You Get to Ho Thi Ky Flower Market in Saigon?
- What Can You Find at Ho Thi Ky Flower Market in Saigon?
- Advice from the Writer
A First Look at Ho Thi Ky Flower Market in Saigon
Ho Thi Ky is a wholesale market supplying flowers for both wholesale sellers in other markets or individuals wanting to buy flowers. There are many kinds of flowers in Ho Thi Ky Flower Market such as lilies, roses, daisies, lotuses, hydrangeas, and so on, surrounding all four corners of the market. You actually feel like you’ve entered a colorful garden. These flowers come from Da Lat (a beautiful mountain city near central Vietnam), Mekong Delta (a vast maze of rivers and rice paddies in the southwest of Vietnam), and even from other countries. Indulge in this maze of flowers while visiting Saigon. It is customary for locals to decorate their homes and businesses with these flowers so this market will be bustling during opening hours.
Lilies, roses, daisies, lotuses, hydrangeas and a lot more!
How Can You Get to Ho Thi Ky Flower Market in Saigon?
There are many ways to go to the market.
- Taxi: Since there is no parking at Ho Thi Ky, it will be convenient for you to take a taxi. Grab is also very useful, and cheaper – about 50,000VND (2 USD) one way from Ben Thanh Market.
- Motorbike: You can rent a motorbike in Bui Vien backpackers area (or check with your hotel as well) and try to find the market by yourself. This will be a very authentic experience but do be careful! “Xe Om” (motorbike taxi) is also a good option, as are GrabBikes. Definitely cheaper than Taxi.
- Bus: There are some buses which can take you there. Use bus numbers 14, 27, 69, or 150, to reach Ly Thai To Street and then you can walk to the flower market from there. If you take bus number 05 or 53, you can get off at Hung Vuong Street and then walk from there. (See here: https://busmap.vn/en/ for more details).
What Can You Find at Ho Thi Ky Flower Market in Saigon?
Flowers, Many Flowers…
Again, I have to confirm that Ho Thi Ky is a paradise full of flowers. There are numerous types of flowers brought from other provinces and sold here. Here are some popular types of flowers which you can find here:
Lilies here are big and bright in color.
Welcome to the realm of roses! … and the choices are abundant.
Do you want some good orchids?
How about brightening your day with daisies?
You can also find the pure lotuses.
A Cambodian Market
There is a Cambodian Market inside – just walk a few more steps and look to your right, and you will easily recognize the place without the address. There are few things you must try here, I included the two addresses below, and you can buy many kinds of dried fish, ask people for a kind of vegetable to make Cambodian salad with the dried fish. You should try Cambodian sapodilla fruit as well. There are two places that you should never miss:
Che Co Co
Address: 57 Ho Thi Ky, Ward 1, District 10, Ho Chi Minh City
This food stall has been selling Cambodian sweet soup for more than 40 years in Saigon. The seller is a friendly woman who continuously makes sweet soup throughout the day to please the many customers she gets. Just simply sitting in front of her and watching her make sweet soup adds to the experience.
Cambodian Sweet Porridge
This food stall has been selling Cambodian sweet soup for more than 40 years in Saigon.
We highly suggest that you try the “che thap cam” which translates to “all the things in one bowl”. It is very colorful and the taste is just as amazing. With just about 12,000 VND (0.5USD), you can eat a small bowl of this which has many kinds of ingredients, one of them is pumpkin custard (flan made in a small pumpkin). This pumpkin is from Cambodia so it is very small yet sweet. Inside the bowl is coconut milk, durian, noodles made from egg, palm fruit, salty egg, and so on. You may think that it is weird but do try it. We are sure you will love it! There are also other choices for you such as red bean and sticky rice for you to choose from.
Bun Tu Xe – You can try “nom bank chok”
Address: 57/27 Ho Thi Ky, Ward 1, District 10, Ho Chi Minh City
Just a few steps from “Chè Cô Có”, you will come across this food stall – just go straight and turn right. Located at the corner with the dried fish in the front, Bún Tư Xê is a place where many people come to eat their breakfast with “nom bank chok” – a typical Khmer noodle. The soup is quite strong in flavor and taste, yet it is delicious. It includes fish cooked with other ingredients galingale, fish meat, especially prahok salted fish. Like Vietnamese noodles, this dish is served with a plate of different kinds of vegetables such as long beans, morning glory, sliced cucumbers, banana flowers, etc. When you first eat it, it is quite strong but you will feel fall in love with it after.
Advice from the Writer
You can book flowers from their website.
- Even though the price for flowers here is cheaper than in other markets in the city, you should bargain with them as well. Try getting the price as low as you can, but don’t go too low.
- The busiest time in the Ho Thi Ky Flower market is about 2 AM. However, you can go to this place anytime from about 11 PM to 6 AM.
- There are many locals going to this flower market to buy flowers so it is crazily crowded. Therefore, we highly recommend you call their hotline number 0932 865 301.
- If you come to the market in the morning, you can eat your breakfast at 86 Ho Thi Ky, a very good hu tieu spot. If you come here at night, you can try some street food.
- For the sweet soup and “num banh choc“, you don’t need to bargain at all.
When you visit this place, you can also go to China Town (Cho Lon) in District 5 easily. So why not have an amazing day discovering Ho Thi Ky Flower Market in Saigon? Let us know about your experiences!
Read more: Guide to Ben Thanh Market, Tan Dinh Market, Collector’s Market, and Yersin Market.
If you enjoyed this article and would like more cool travel tips on what to do, see and eat, follow us at Travel Blog Phuot3mien.