When the sun goes down and the streetlights turn on, it is time to apply your red lipstick and get ready for the crazy nightlife of Saigon. In this never-sleeping-city, you can easily find a lot of places to party in style – from dancing in countless clubs to singing karaoke with your friends.
If you are looking for something interesting to do before the bar crawl, let’s go for live music! Whether you are a rock addict, a jazz lover, a fan of indie, or simply seeking local band performances, you can easily find a place to suit your taste. This article is written to guide you.
- If you like alt. rock…Fang pub!
- For those that want something heavier…RFC
- If you are not picky about the type of music… Yoko Café
- For the pop princess in you…Thi Café
- Indie pop or jazz? Broma: Not a bar!
- For the jazz enthusiast…Sax ‘N Art Jazz Club
- Pop or Rock? Find both in Seventeen Saloon!
If you like alt. rock…Fang pub!
If you want to go to a pub where you can find yourself singing out loud to some familiar melodies and dancing with the locals, Fang pub is the one for you! Having entered the scene about three years ago, the pub quickly became a popular hangout spot for many rock lovers in Saigon. Every night from 9 PM to midnight, the local bands will rock the stage with various English hits from the billboards, together with many famous Vietnamese songs from the 2000s. Besides good music and drinks, you can also find some finger food on the menu.
- The staff is friendly and helpful. They can communicate in English.
- The bands are amazing. They really know what rock is! I love F-Band, Subrothers Band, and Larva Band. You can check their Facebook to know which bands will be hosts of the night.
- Wednesday is ladies nights. From 6 PM to 8:45 PM, all ladies can enjoy the buy-1-get-1-free promotion for cocktails and beer.
- The venue is small and it is always crowded, so you will not have much space to dance if you stand near the stage.
- The service is quite slow due to the high demand.
- Cocktails are average.
- According to my experience, the tables will usually be fully booked before 4 PM every day so make sure you call ahead and book one for you and your friends!
- If your group is less than four people, you can just walk in and join someone else’s table.. it usually isn’t a problem as Saigonese are super friendly!
- Address: 13 Ho Xuan Huong, Vo Thi Sau Ward, District 3
- Opening hours: 6 PM – 12 AM
- Contact numbers: +849 0901 4608 (Mr. Thieu) or +849 0269 0220 (Mr. Son)
- Price range: Start from 60,000 VNĐ for beers, 130,000 VND – 150,000 VNĐ for cocktails and 100,000 VND for food.
- Facebook: Fang Pub
For those that want something heavier…RFC
First of all, I have to warn you that this place is unsuitable for those who cannot stand heavy music and smoke! In Rock Fan Club Saigon, the crowd is full of enthusiastic young rockers who smoke a lot and drink alcohol, just as the name suggests. Secondly, if you are a fan of bands such as Nightwish or Green Day, do not skip out on RFC!
On the stage of RFC, performers with neck tattoos and sleeves rock out on the stage with their electric guitars, drums, and baritone bass voice. RFC is not only a place for big names when it comes to Vietnamese rock but also for the newbies to show off their voices and gain recognition. The genres of music they play ranges from pop-rock, ballads, alternative to punk, gothic and heavy metal. All you need to do is book a table and head over to the kingdom of rock.
Secondly, if you are a fan of bands such as Nightwish or Green Day, do not skip out on RFC!
- The sound system is perfect for playing rock. Some people might think it is a bit loud, but come on! It’s rock! Think of it like this, not only do you have some great music but you now have a place to scream out as loud as you can whenever you feel stressed.
- The playlists are great and there are mainly Western hits.
- What makes the success of a live music venue are definitely the bands that play. Microwave, The Lost Art, Coconuts, and the RFC band and singers are incredible. I especially love the song called Mat Den (Black eyes) by Microwave. If you have a chance to hear them sing, do not hesitate to request that song.
- The venue is small and it is always crowded.
- Many people smoke.
- The parking lot is on Tran Quoc Thao Street so there is a bit of a walk to RFC. Worth it, though!
- You should call to reserve a table. Otherwise, you may have to hold your bottle of beer in your hand the whole time.
- Address: 25C Tu Xuong Street, District 3
- Opening hours: 6 PM – 12 AM
- Contact number: +84 6290 7489
- Price range: Around 100,000 VND – 150,000 VNĐ
- Check out their Facebook for info on events etc.
If you are not picky about the type of music… Yoko Café
In 2002, Yoko cafe (named after Yoko Ono) was established and became the pioneering live music venue in Saigon. This is a place where many Vietnamese musicians kick off their careers. After many ups-and-downs, Yoko was reborn in 2016 with many innovations – from the classy decorations to the type of music they play. The new version of Yoko cafe offers you various types of music – you can catch anything from rock, pop to ballads, indie and even jazz from 9 PM till late. The performers are local singers and some bands from the Philippines and South America also play. I am sure Tofu and Hoai Anh’s show is something you don’t want to miss because it is just awesome!
You can catch anything from rock, pop to ballads, indie and even jazz from 9 pm till late.
- The place is quite big and usually they have seats for everyone. The atmosphere is energetic.
- The various type of music they play every night will give you more choices.
- The food is also delicious!
- Wednesday is lady night. Yoko offers one free beer to the ladies.
- They allow smoking inside the bar.
- Tuesday is Yoko’s Open Mic day. It is a chance to bring your guitar and your voice to perform to the crowds and shine brightly.
- You should check out Yoko’s Facebook page for the music schedule to avoid situations you don’t particularly enjoy being in. Like the Rock Night – when there is loud, loud, loud music!
- Address: 22A Nguyen Thi Dieu, Ward 6, District 3
- Opening hours: 8 AM – 12 AM
- Contact number: +848 3933 0577
- Price range: 60,000 VND – 99,000 VND
- Facebook: Yoko Cafe
For the pop princess in you…Thi Café
One night, when my friends and I walked past Thi Café in the backpacker area at around 10 PM, we heard a woman singing “Uptown Funk” by Bruno Mars. The soulful and powerful voice made us sing along and dance on the street. This was my first impression of Thi Cafe. Daily from 9 PM until late, there will be Filipino singers playing a stream of popular pop songs. One extra point is Thi Cafe usually runs a buy two get one free promotion all night long. It is ideal to gather some friends, grab some drinks, and chill after work.
- The price is cheaper than that of other live music locations.
- Friendly staff.
- The music is good and cheerful.
- The parking lot is a little bit far.
- The venue could be complicated because Thi Café is located in the backpacker area.
- There are some parking lots on 23/9 parking lot (September 23/9 park – hah, pun)! You will have to pay a small fee, which is around 5,000 – 10,000 VND.
- Address: 224 De Tham Street, Pham Ngu Lao Ward, District 1
- Opening hours: 6 PM – 2 PM
- Contact number: +84 8 2210 2929
- Price range: 35,000 VND – 385,000 VND
- Facebook: Thi Bar
Indie pop or jazz? Broma: Not a bar!
Crave a place where you can get a few beers, treat your ears to the rhythms of indie pop or jazz while enjoying a nice view to Nguyen Hue Boulevard? Let me introduce you to Broma: Not-a-bar. This is a double-level roof top bar on 41 Nguyen Hue. The cozy and romantic design with colorful lights, candles, and long bench seats lining the edge of the rooftop turns the bar into an ideal hang out spot after work for many expats and locals. Come to the bar on Tuesday at 9 PM with your instruments to show off your skills or beautiful voice on Acoustic Open Mic Day. Wednesday is live music day and other days of the week are reserved for a DJ to take over. Follow their Facebook page so that you can catch up with the host of the night.
Jazz is a great way to spend an energetic night.
- The view is stunning. You can see many shiny towers and Nguyen Hue Boulevard by night.
- The atmosphere is perfect for a date.
- The menu has more than 30 types of beer for beer lovers. You should try Tê Tê white craft beer – it is unique! The signature cocktails are worth a try as well.
- The music is not too crazy like in the club, and even the DJ music is light – just a few sets of disco and house. (I guess this is the reason why they call themselves NOT A BAR).
- On some special events or days (like Christmas), you will have to pay the entrance fee.
- The restroom is a little bit small and dark.
- You can park your bike in the small alley near the bar. The parking fee is around 10,000 VND.
- If you are in the mood for dancing to EDM then Broma is not a suitable venue.
- Address: Rooftop 41 Nguyen Hue, Ben Nghe, District 1
- Opening hours: 5 PM – 2 AM
- Contact number: +84 3823 6838
- Price range: 100,000 VND – 400,000 VND
- Facebook: Broma Bar
For the jazz enthusiast…Sax ‘N Art Jazz Club
Shout out to the Jazz devotees out there, you can enjoy live Jazz in Saigon! The owner of this cool place is Tran Manh Tuan, a phenomenal saxophonist in Vietnam. Sax ‘N Art Jazz Club is a small and cozy bar located in the center of Saigon. Nightly, at 9 PM, there will be a band singing some Western songs. After the stage is warmed up, Tran Manh Tuan, the aficionado, and his band will play smooth jazz, which will be the key performance of the show. This place is perfect for anyone who is looking for a personal space to relax and chill while listening to live music in Saigon.
- The music is soulful. If you are a fan of La La Land you can gorge yourself on delectable Jazz at this club.
- The staff is professional and friendly.
- This Sax ‘N Art Jazz Club is unsuitable for anyone who expects to dance and get drunk.
- The price is pricey by Vietnamese standards.
- The music cover charge is 100,000 VNĐ (5 USD) per person and will be added to the bill. Nevertheless, it will be worth every cent.
- Address: 28 Le Loi Street, Ben Nghe Ward, District 1
- Opening hours: 5 PM – 12 AM
- Contact number: +84 8 3822 8472
- Price range: 150,000 VND – 275,000 VND
- Facebook: Sax ‘N Art
Pop or Rock? Find both in Seventeen Saloon!
Located near the backpacker area in D1, Seventeen Saloon dominates the bar scene because it hosts two different bands every night. Western pop songs are played upstairs while rock and heavy metal songs are played downstairs which is also the main area. The regular band is from the Philippines and they are incredibly talented and play many good songs. Wild decoration, beers, cowgirls, and crazy music absolutely rock the stage and make for a fun way to end the night.
- The musicians are great with many popular Western hits.
- Performance bartending at 12 AM.
- Female guests are not treated as well as male guests.
- Waitresses usually asks for a tip, and not in a polite way.
- The price is quite high.
- The downstairs is usually more crowded than upstairs. Book a table in advance if you want to sit downstairs.
- Address: 103A Pham Ngu Lao Street, Pham Ngu Lao Ward, District 1
- Opening hours: 7 PM – 2 PM
- Contact number: +84 8 3914 0007
- Price range: 160,000 VND – 650,000 VND
- Facebook: Seventeen Saloon
Enjoyed this article and would like more fun information on what to see, do, and eat in Vietnam? Follow us at Vietnam Travel Blog!